Should the U.S. Declare the KKK a Terrorist Group?
Do you support efforts to declare the KKK a terrorist group?
by Countable | 6.25.20
What's the story?
- Several online petitions are demanding that the Ku Klux Klan be listed as a terrorist organization in the wake of protests against racism and police brutality.
- "Black Americans have suffered the most under this terror group. Terrorism is the use of violence and intimidation in pursuit of political aims," read a description on the now-closed "Change KKK status into Terrorist Organization" petition.
"We ask if ISIS or ISIL is labeled a terrorist group for their acts, then surely the KKK fit the clear description of a terrorist."
- Another petition, "Declare the KKK a terrorist organization," which garnered 100,922 signatures, read:
"The KKK is a terrorist organization protected by the first amendment. It is a travesty to allow such an organization to function under the law in a generation that abhors racism, sexism, homophobia, etc. What kind of message is the government spreading by allowing the KKK to function?"
- Currently, the KKK is classed as a domestic extremist group rather than a terrorist organization. Earlier this month, President Donald Trump announced plans to designate far-left group ANTIFA as a domestic terrorist organization.
- The petitions gained tens of thousands of signatures following news that a Virginia man who allegedly drove into a crowd of George Floyd protesters admitted to being a KKK leader.
What do you think?
Should the Department of Homeland Security designate the KKK a terrorist organization? Take action above and tell your reps then share your thoughts below.
Supreme Court Allows States to Punish or Remove Faithless Electors Who Break Their PledgeWhat’s the story? The Supreme Court on Monday unanimously ruled in a pair of cases that states are allowed to use penalties to
by Countable | 7.6.20
The DC: 🏛 Trump orders ‘National Garden of American Heroes’ to counter statue destruction, and... Do local governments spend too much on law enforcement?Welcome to Monday, July 6th, inks and papers...President Trump has ordered the creation of a "National Garden of American
by Countable | 7.6.20
"Independence For All" - A Message from Countable Founder Bart MyersJuly 4, 2020Dear Countable friends,Remember where you are right now. We will be talking about this moment in American history
by Countable | 7.4.20