What You Need to Know About Citizen’s Arrest Laws - Do You Support Them?
Do citizen's arrests have a place in American law?
by Countable | 5.18.20
A "citizen's arrest" — a law that allows citizens to detain someone if they've committed a crime — is allowed in many U.S. states. In recent weeks, this concept has been thrust to the foreground due to the killing of Ahmaud Arbery, a Black man who was shot and killed by a pair of men pursuing him with the alleged intent of making a citizen's arrest in Brunswick, Georgia.
Well-intentioned but risky
- Citizen's arrest laws are supposed to allow bystanders to arrest people committing crimes, thereby promoting good law enforcement.
- Interpretations of what is and isn't allowable in a citizen's arrest differ from state to state. For example, New York State specifically allows non-deadly use of force.
- If a citizen makes a baseless or arbitrary arrest, they could be at risk of legal liability.
Calls for abolishing citizen's arrest laws
Arbery's killing has prompted some to call for the abolishment of citizen's arrest laws.
- Georgia: Over a dozen state lawmakers traveled to Brunswick (the site of Arbery's shooting) on Tuesday, May 12, to demand the repeal of the state's citizen's arrest law
- South Carolina: State Rep. Justin Bamberg (D-District 90) has introduced a bill that would abolish South Carolina's citizen's arrest law
What do you think?
Do you think citizen's arrest laws are just? Should states abolish these laws and leave arrests to law enforcement? Take action above and tell your reps, then share your thoughts below.
(Image Credit: iStockphoto.com / D-Keine)
The DC: 🏠 Fauci cautions against 'irreparable damage' of excessive stay-at-home orders, and... Are you worried about rising 'deaths of despair'?Welcome to Tuesday, May 25th, earplugs and eyemasks...Officials are warning that "deaths of despair" may rise amid
by Countable | 5.26.20
The DC: 🗽 Origins of Memorial Day, and... Should we continue to celebrate Confederate Memorial Day?Welcome to Monday, May 25th, Memorial Dayers...Do you know the origins of Memorial Day?For many, the Memorial Day weekend marks
by Countable | 5.25.20
Officials Warn ‘Deaths of Despair’ May Rise Amid Pandemic-Induced Isolation & Joblessness - Are You Concerned?This content leverages data from USAFacts, a non-profit that visualizes governmental data. You can learn more on its website,
by Countable | 5.23.20