Committee Watch: Gun Control, Global Terrorism, and the Student Loan Crisis
How do you feel about this week's committee hearings?
by Countable | 9.9.19
Before bills and nominations are brought up for a passage vote in Congress, they typically have to be considered and approved by relevant committees ― which also conduct oversight of federal agencies. Here’s a look at what congressional committees will be holding hearings on this week.
Schedule subject to change. All times Eastern.
- The Senate Homeland Security Committee is holding a hearing titled "18 Years Later: The State of Homeland Security after 9/11" at the National September 11th Memorial & Museum in New York City. 10am
- The House Homeland Security Committee will hold a hearing titled “Global Terrorism: Threats to the Homeland, Part I”. 10am
- The Senate Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs Committee will hold a hearing titled “Housing Reform: Next Steps” featuring testimony from Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, HUD Secretary Ben Carson, and FHA Director Mark Calabria. 10am
- The House Financial Services Committee will hold a hearing titled “A $1.5 Trillion Crisis: Protecting Student Borrowers and Holding Student Loan Servicers Accountable”. 10am
- The House Judiciary Committee will hold a hearing to markup up six bills, including three gun control bills. 2pm
- The House Select Committee on the Climate Crisis will hold a hearing titled “Solving the Climate Crisis: Manufacturing Jobs for America’s Workers”. 2pm
- The Joint Economic Committee will hold a hearing titled “Making it More Affordable to Raise a Family”. 2:30pm
- The Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee will hold a hearing titled “Protecting the Nation’s Transportation Systems: Oversight of the Transportation Security Administration” featuring testimony from Acting Deputy TSA Administrator Patricia Cogswell. 10am
- The Senate Judiciary Committee will hold a hearing to consider pending nominations. 10am
- The Senate Appropriations Committee will mark up the defense; energy & water; state & foreign operations; and labor, Health and human services, and education appropriations bills. 10:30am
See the full Senate committee schedule here.
See the full House committee schedule here.
Tell your reps what you think they should be focusing on and share your thoughts on the week’s schedule in the comments below!
― Eric Revell
Fed Announces Second Interest Rate Cut of 2019 as Global Growth Weighs on Strong U.S. EconomyFederal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell announced Wednesday that the central bank’s board of governors voted 7-3 in favor of
by Countable | 9.18.19
The DC: Revoking California's waiver for higher auto emissions standards, and... 🚔 Would you support a police crackdown on homeless?Welcome to Thursday, September 19th, diamonds and pearls...President Donald Trump has revoked a waiver allowing California to
by Countable | 9.19.19
Senate Democrats Block Spending Package Over Border Wall FundingSenate Democrats on Wednesday blocked a procedural vote that would’ve allowed for the consideration of the upper chamber’s first
by Countable | 9.18.19