Committee Watch: Mueller to Testify on Russia Probe, Plus Oversight of the FBI & Family Detention at the Border
How do you feel about this week's committee hearings?
by Countable | 7.21.19
Before bills and nominations are brought up for a passage vote in Congress, they typically have to be considered and approved by relevant committees ― which also conduct oversight of federal agencies. Here’s a look at what congressional committees will be holding hearings on this week.
Schedule subject to change. All times Eastern.
- The Senate Judiciary Committee will an oversight hearing focused on the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) featuring testimony from FBI Director Christopher Wray. 10am
- The Senate Foreign Relations Committee will hold a hearing to mark up bills related to the U.S.-Saudi relationship & energy security in Europe, a treaty to admit Macedonia to NATO, and diplomatic nominations. 10am
- The Senate Banking Committee will hold a hearing titled “Challenges for Cannabis and Banking: Outside Perspectives”. 10am
- The House Judiciary Committee will hold a hearing titled “Oversight of the Report on the Investigation into Russian Interference in the 2016 Presidential Election” featuring testimony from former Special Counsel Robert Mueller. 8:30am
- The House Budget Committee will hold a hearing titled “The Costs of Climate Change: From Coasts to Heartland, Health to Security”. 10am
- The Senate Foreign Relations Committee will hold a hearing titled “Reviewing Authorities for the Use of Military Force”. 10:15am
- The House Intelligence Committee will hold a hearing to receive testimony from former Special Counsel Robert Mueller. 12pm
- The Select Committee on the Modernization of Congress will hold a hearing titled “Modernizing Legislative Information Technologies: Lessons from the States”. 2pm
- The House Judiciary Committee will hold a hearing titled “Oversight of Family Separation and U.S. Customs and Border Protection Short-Term Custody under the Trump Administration”. 10am
- The House Natural Resources Committee will hold a hearing titled “When Science Gets Trumped: Scientific Integrity at the Dept. of the Interior”. 2pm
- The House Oversight Committee will hold a hearing titled “The Patient Perspective: The Devastating Impact of Skyrocketing Drug Prices on American Families”. 9:30am
See the full Senate committee schedule here.
See the full House committee schedule here.
Tell your reps what you think they should be focusing on and share your thoughts on the week’s schedule in the comments below!
― Eric Revell
U.S. Economy Beats Expectations by Adding 266K Jobs in NovemberThe Bureau of Labor Statistics on Friday released its jobs report for November 2019, which found that the U.S. economy added
by Countable | 12.6.19
The DC: 📃 Pelosi asks for articles of impeachment, and... Do you support a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict?Welcome to Friday, December 6th, ketchups and catsups...House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) announced Thursday that she is asking
by Countable | 12.6.19
Russian Cybercrime Group ‘Evil Corp’ Sanctioned by Treasury Dept.The Treasury Dept. announced Thursday that it will impose sanctions on the Russia-based cybercrime organization known as Evil
by Countable | 12.5.19