The shooter killed six people, all of whom were at the University of California, Santa Barbara. The resolution's official text states in part that the House:
(1) condemns the senseless rampage and mass shooting that took place in Isla Vista, California, on May 23, 2014;
2) offers condolences to the entire Isla Vista community and the University of California, Santa Barbara community, as well as their families;
(3) recognizes that the healing process will be long and difficult for the Isla Vista and Santa Barbara communities;
(4) encourages a productive and thoughtful dialogue on all aspects of this senseless tragedy, including the Nation's mental health care system, anger, firearms laws, and harmful attitudes towards women;
(5) honors the selfless, dedicated service of the law enforcement officials and emergency response personnel who responded to the attack, preventing further loss of life and injury, and who continue to investigate the attack; and
(6) remains committed to working to help prevent tragedies like this from happening again.