- Not enactedThe President has not signed this bill
- The senate has not voted
- The house has not voted
Disability Assistance and Memorial AffairsCommittee on Veterans' AffairsIntroducedFebruary 13th, 2019
- house Committees
What is House Bill H.R. 1200?
Cost of House Bill H.R. 1200
“Our veterans put their lives on the line to keep America safe, and I remain committed to ensuring they receive the benefits they have earned. I’m honored to champion a cost-of-living adjustment for our nation’s veterans. I look forward to working with DAMA Ranking Member Bost to get this critical bill through Congress and signed by the President.”
Last Congress, the Disabled American Veterans (DAV) also expressed support for the cost-of-living increase -- but qualified that support by pointing out that this legislation contains a round-down provision which they oppose. The round-down provision results in benefits being reduced to the nearest whole dollar. Over time, this has reduced monthly benefits by about $10 per month.
The 2015 cost-of-living adjustment was about 1.7 percent based off of the increase in Social Security benefits.
- Sponsoring Rep. Elaine Luria (D-VA) Press Release (116th Congress)
- House Committee on Veterans' Affairs Republicans One Pager (116th Congress)
- Sponsoring Rep, Mike Bost (R-IL) Press Release (115th Congress)
- CBO Cost Estimate (116th Congress)
- Disabled American Veterans (In Favor)
- Veterans of Foreign Wars (In Favor)
- Government Executive (Previous Version)
- Military Benefits (Context)