Appeals Court: Trump Must Provide Congress his Financial Records - Do You Support the Ruling?
Should Trump turn over his financial records to Congress?
by Countable | 12.3.19
What's the story?
- Deutsche Bank, President Donald Trump's longtime lender, must turn over his financial records to Congress, an appeals court ruled.
- House committees' "interest in pursuing their constitutional legislative function is a far more significant public interest than whatever public interest inheres in avoiding the risk of a Chief Executive's distraction arising from disclosure of documents reflecting his private financial transactions," the court said in a 108-page ruling.
"We do not doubt that some members of the Committees, even as they pursued investigations for valid legislative purposes, hoped that the results of their inquiries would embarrass the President. But as long as the valid legislative purposes that the Committees have identified are being pursued and are not artificial pretexts for ill-motivated maneuvers, the Committees have not exceeded their constitutional authority."
- The House Intelligence and Financial Services committees had subpoenaed Deutsche Bank and Capital One for the financial records of Trump and his family.
- Jay Sekulow, Trump's attorney, said the next step will be an appeal to the Supreme Court.
"We believe the subpoena is invalid as issued. In light of the Second Circuit decision, we are evaluating our next options including seeking review at the Supreme Court of the United States," Sekulow said in a statement.
- The Supreme Court is currently considering another case involving the release of Trump's tax returns.
What do you think?
Should Trump have to release his financial records? Or should Trump be immune to any investigation by any prosecutor (as his team has claimed)? Take action and tell your reps, then share your thoughts below.
(Photo Credit: @RealDonaldTrump via Twitter)
U.S. Economy Beats Expectations by Adding 266K Jobs in NovemberThe Bureau of Labor Statistics on Friday released its jobs report for November 2019, which found that the U.S. economy added
by Countable | 12.6.19
The DC: 📃 Pelosi asks for articles of impeachment, and... Do you support a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict?Welcome to Friday, December 6th, ketchups and catsups...House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) announced Thursday that she is asking
by Countable | 12.6.19
Russian Cybercrime Group ‘Evil Corp’ Sanctioned by Treasury Dept.The Treasury Dept. announced Thursday that it will impose sanctions on the Russia-based cybercrime organization known as Evil
by Countable | 12.5.19