McConnell Blocking Mueller Protection Vote, Sens. Push On
Join the 74,519 people who've taken action on Countable this week
by Countable | 4.19.18
What’s the story?
- On Tuesday, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) said he would not allow a vote on a measure that would make it harder for President Donald Trump to fire special counsel Robert Mueller, who's leading the Justice Department investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election.
- "This is not necessary, there's no indication that Mueller is going to be fired," McConnell told Fox News. "I’m the one who decides what we take to the floor. That’s my responsibility as the majority leader. And we will not be having this on the floor of the Senate."
- Some Republicans, however, and forcing the debate.
- "We'll have a markup and a vote in committee," North Carolina Republican Thom Tillis said Wednesday. “It's something that can lie in the Senate chamber. Facts may lead to passage or not."
- Republican Sen. Jeff Flake of Arizona added that the objective isn’t to force Trump to decide between signing the bill or issuing a veto, but to send the president a message.
"If the goal - and I think it should be - is to convince the president not to take this action. I think the message needs to be that we take this very seriously."
What would the bipartisan bill do?
- Any order to fire a special counsel would be delayed by 10 days, giving the special counsel time to appeal the order to a panel of three federal judges.
What do you think?
Do you want your reps to support the bill to protect Mueller? Should Republicans follow - and respect - McConnell’s leadership? Hit Take Action and tell your reps, then share your thoughts below.
(Photo Credit: Gage Skidmore via Flickr)
Declassified Transcripts of General Flynn's Calls With Russian Ambassador Kislyak ReleasedWhat’s the story?Director of National Intelligence John Ratcliffe on Friday declassified summaries and transcripts from several
by Countable | 5.30.20
Unemployment Doubled in Many States in April, But New Claims Have Continued to Decline in MayThis content leverages data from USAFacts, a non-profit that visualizes governmental data. You can learn more on its website,
by Countable | 5.29.20
Nursing Homes Hit Hard by COVID-19 Pandemic - Are You Worried About Residents’ Safety?Due to their residents’ advanced ages and high concentration of preexisting medical conditions that raise their COVID-19 risk,
by Countable | 5.29.20