Committee Watch: Impeachment Hearings, Migration Crisis at the Southern Border, and the Economic Outlook
How do you feel about this week's committee hearings?
by Countable | 11.11.19
Before bills and nominations are brought up for a passage vote in Congress, they typically have to be considered and approved by relevant committees ― which also conduct oversight of federal agencies. Here’s a look at what congressional committees will be holding hearings on this week.
Schedule subject to change. All times Eastern.
- The Senate Homeland Security Hearing will hold a hearing titled “Unprecedented Migration at the U.S. Southern Border: The Year in Review” featuring testimony from the acting leaders of Customs and Border Protection, Citizenship and Immigration Services, Immigration and Customs Enforcement, and the director of the Office for Immigration Review . 9:30am
- The House Intelligence Committee will hold an impeachment inquiry hearing with testimony from U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine Bill Taylor and Deputy Assistant Secretary for European and Eurasian Affairs George Kent. 10am
- The Senate Health, Education, Labor & Pensions Committee will hold a hearing titled “Examining the Response to Lung Illnesses and Rising Youth Electronic Cigarette Use”. 10am
- The House Judiciary Committee will hold a markup hearing on a bill to remove the deadline for ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment. 10am
- The Joint Economic Committee will hold a hearing titled “The Economic Outlook with Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell”. 11am
- The House Veterans Affairs Committee will hold a hearing titled “Hijacking Our Heroes: Exploiting Veterans Through Disinformation on Social Media” featuring testimony from Vietnam Veterans of America’s chief investigator, plus officials from social media companies including Facebook and Twitter. 2pm
- The House Budget Committee will hold a hearing titled “The Economic Outlook: The View from the Federal Reserve” with testimony from Fed Chair Jerome Powell. 10am
- The House Ways & Means Committee will hold a hearing titled “Caring for Aging Americans”. 10am
- The Senate Energy & Natural Resources Committee will hold a confirmation hearing on the nomination of Dan Brouillette to be Secretary of Energy. 10:30am
- The House Small Business Committee will hold a hearing titled “A Fair Playing Field? Investigating Big Tech’s Impact on Small Business”. 1pm
- The House Oversight Committee will hold a hearing titled “Examining State Efforts to Undermine Access to Reproductive Healthcare”. 2pm
- The House Intelligence Committee will hold an impeachment inquiry hearing with testimony from former U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine Marie “Masha” Yovanovitch. 9am
See the full Senate committee schedule here.
See the full House committee schedule here.
Tell your reps what you think they should be focusing on and share your thoughts on the week’s schedule in the comments below!
― Eric Revell
U.S. Economy Beats Expectations by Adding 266K Jobs in NovemberThe Bureau of Labor Statistics on Friday released its jobs report for November 2019, which found that the U.S. economy added
by Countable | 12.6.19
The DC: 📃 Pelosi asks for articles of impeachment, and... Do you support a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict?Welcome to Friday, December 6th, ketchups and catsups...House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) announced Thursday that she is asking
by Countable | 12.6.19
Russian Cybercrime Group ‘Evil Corp’ Sanctioned by Treasury Dept.The Treasury Dept. announced Thursday that it will impose sanctions on the Russia-based cybercrime organization known as Evil
by Countable | 12.5.19