Elections 2019: Kentucky Chooses Democratic Governor, Virginia Democrats Take Control of State Legislature
How are you feeling about the 2019 elections
by Countable | 11.5.19
Update - November 5, 2019, 10:45pm ET:
- Democrat Andy Beshear, Kentucky's attorney general, has claimed victory Tuesday night in the governor's race, though Republican Matt Bevin said he's not conceding.
"Would it be a Bevin race if it wasn't a squeaker? I mean, come on. I mean, really and truly, this is a close, close race. We are not conceding this race by any stretch."
- With 99% of precincts reporting, Beshear currently has 709,697 votes, Bevin 703,899.
- After a two decade dry spell, Democrats have taken control of Virginia's state legislature.
“Based on the numbers and turnout, we are feeling really excited — and I think we are about to make history,” said Democratic Sen. Jennifer McClellan.
- Republican Tate Reeves, the state's lieutenant governor, is poised to become the Magnolia's State's next governor.
Countable's earlier story appears below.
Though the big one is still a year off, this Tuesday, November 5, voters in several states are heading to the polls in elections that could shift the blue-red power dynamic.
- In Kentucky and Mississippi, voters are choosing a new governor, maybe Democratic. President Donald Trump, who carried both states in 2016, visited Kentucky Monday night to boost voter turnout for two candidates he endorsed.
- In Virginia, the electorate is picking new members of their state legislature—potentially flipping the House and Senate from red to blue.
- In South Bend, Indiana, Hoosiers are choosing a replacement for Mayor Pete Buttigieg.
What do you think?
Will the federal impeachment probe impact local elections? Will Democrats flip two governorships from red to blue? Don’t let today be the only bellwether—take action above and tell your reps what matters to you, then share your thoughts below.
Key Quotes From the November Democratic DebateTen Democratic presidential candidates took the stage in Atlanta Wednesday night, hours after an explosive impeachment hearing
by Countable | 11.20.19
Justice Dept. Inspector General to Testify on Alleged Surveillance Abuses Against Trump Campaign in 2016UPDATED - 11/21/19: Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Lindsey Graham (R-SC) announced Thursday that Inspector General Michael
by Countable | 11.21.19
The DC: Sondland testifies there was a quid pro quo, and... 🗳️ How do you feel about the 2020 Democratic candidates?Welcome to Thursday, November 21st, prime and odd numbers...When it Ukraines, it pours.Ambassador to the EU Gordon Sondland
by Countable | 11.21.19