Committee Watch: Extending Surveillance Programs, Threats to the Homeland, & Putin’s 'Shadow Warriors'
How do you feel about this week's committee hearings? What else should Congress hold hearings on?
by Countable | 11.4.19
Before bills and nominations are brought up for a passage vote in Congress, they typically have to be considered and approved by relevant committees ― which also conduct oversight of federal agencies. Here’s a look at what congressional committees will be holding hearings on this week.
Schedule subject to change. All times Eastern.
- The Senate Homeland Security Committee will hold a hearing titled “Threats to the Homeland” with testimony from Acting Homeland Security Secretary Kevin McAleenan, FBI Director Chris Wray, and Acting Director of the National Counterterrorism Center Russell Travers. 2:30pm
- The Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on Crime and Terrorism will hold a hearing titled “How Corporations and Big Tech Leave Our Data Exposed to Criminals, China, and Other Bad Actors”. 2:30pm
- The Commission on Security & Cooperation in Europe (aka the Helsinki Commission) will hold a hearing titled “Putin’s Shadow Warriors: Mercenaries, Security Contracting, and the Way Ahead”. 10am
- The Senate Judiciary Committee will hold a hearing titled “Reauthorizing the USA FREEDOM Act of 2015” featuring testimony from counterrorism officials and civil liberties experts. 10am
- The Senate Budget Committee will hold a hearing to consider bipartisan budget process reform legislation. 2:30pm
- The Senate Agriculture, Nutrition, & Forestry Committee will hold a hearing titled “Implementation of the 2018 Farm Bill: Rural Development and Energy Programs”. 9:30am
- The Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee will hold a hearing on legislation related to energy development on federal land. 10am
- The Senate Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs Committee will hold a hearing to examine bipartisan bills to promote affordable housing access and safety. 10am
See the full Senate committee schedule here.
See the full House committee schedule here.
Tell your reps what you think they should be focusing on and share your thoughts on the week’s schedule in the comments below!
― Eric Revell
The DC: Your reps want to hear from you about impeachment, and... 👍 Should Trump pardon Roger Stone?Welcome to Monday, November 18, renters and owners...When it comes to public hearings, one of the criticisms often lobbed at
by Countable | 11.18.19
Know a Nominee: Justice Robert Luck to the 11th Circuit Court of AppealsThe Senate is expected to consider the nomination of Justice Robert Luck to be a judge on the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals,
by Countable | 11.17.19
Know a Nominee: Justice Barbara Lagoa to the 11th Circuit Court of AppealsThe Senate is expected to consider the nomination of Justice Barbara Lagoa to be a judge on the Eleventh Circuit Court of
by Countable | 11.17.19