Trump Moves to Ban Flavored E-Cigarettes - Do You Support a Ban?
Do you support banning flavored e-cigarettes?
by Countable | 9.11.19
What’s the story?
- President Donald Trump announced Wednesday that he will seek to ban the sale of all flavored e-cigarettes in an effort to discourage youth vaping.
- "We are going to have to do something about it," Trump said after meeting with health policy advisers, adding that vaping was a "new problem in the country."
- Recently, a sixth person in the U.S. died from lung disease related to vaping. And exactly one-year ago, the FDA declared teenage use of e-cigarettes an epidemic.
- A number of cities – and one state – have banned the sale of flavored tobacco products.
What are people saying?
- Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar announced that a newly proposed enforcement policy would require e-cigarette companies to remove all non-tobacco flavored vaping products from the market.
- After appearing in the Oval Office with the president, first lady Melania Trump and the acting commissioner of the FDA, Azar released a statement:
- “The Trump Administration is making it clear that we intend to clear the market of flavored e-cigarettes to reverse the deeply concerning epidemic of youth e-cigarette use that is impacting children, families, schools and communities,” Azar said.
“We will not stand idly by as these products become an on-ramp to combustible cigarettes or nicotine addiction for a generation of youth.”
- Last week, Melania tweeted:
What do you think?
Do you support a ban on flavored tobacco? Should more cities adopt bans? Or will teens just turn elsewhere for their products? Take action and tell your reps, then share your thoughts below.
(Photo Credit: FDA / Flickr)
Fed Announces Second Interest Rate Cut of 2019 as Global Growth Weighs on Strong U.S. EconomyFederal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell announced Wednesday that the central bank’s board of governors voted 7-3 in favor of
by Countable | 9.18.19
The DC: Revoking California's waiver for higher auto emissions standards, and... 🚔 Would you support a police crackdown on homeless?Welcome to Thursday, September 19th, diamonds and pearls...President Donald Trump has revoked a waiver allowing California to
by Countable | 9.19.19
Senate Democrats Block Spending Package Over Border Wall FundingSenate Democrats on Wednesday blocked a procedural vote that would’ve allowed for the consideration of the upper chamber’s first
by Countable | 9.18.19